The December 2021 issue of Today’s Railways Europe contains the very latest news and features from all over mainland Europe. Our comprehensive news sections bring all the best from Europe’s main line railways, tramways and heritage lines, plus all our regular monthly columns.
Feature articles this month include:
Connecting Europe Express: A Railway Odyssey Through 26 Countries: Covering 20 000 km over 36 days in September and early October, the Connecting Europe Express was the flagship event of the European Year of Rail, aiming to highlight the challenges facing the sector and the role rail transport can play in reducing greenhouse gas emissions. Toma Bacic, who was on the train for 11 days, tells the story.
TEE Rescue: After many years of open storage in Amsterdam, the surviving NS Class DE-IV vehicles used on the Trans Europ Express services between 1957 and 1974 were removed to a secure location for restoration at the end of August. Quintus Vosman tells the story of the complex operation to secure the future of these historic vehicles.
40 Years of TGV: On 17 September SNCF celebrated 40 years since the first section of high speed line opened between Paris and Lyon. This was the start of a massive success story, but the TGV was not the first choice for a new type of high speed transport, as David Haydock explains.
Rail Centres: Dublin: Within easy reach from the UK by rail and ferry, the Dublin area still boasts plenty of passenger trains hauled by big diesels, street running freight and breathtaking coastal scenery. Keith Barrow explores the railway network in and around the Irish capital.
Slovak ‘Gorillas’ in Decline: With the end of ZSSK Class 350 operation on the Puchov-Praha services fast approaching, Quintus Vosman presents a selection of autumnal scenes depicting the ‘Gorillas’ at work in the Outer Western Carpathian mountains and the Valassko (Moravian Wallachia) on the Czech-Slovak border.
News stories this month include:
- Norway to halt franchising and boost investment.
- PKP Intercity orders Newag electrics.
- RENFE announces plans for Paris-London service.
- SJ orders 25 EMUs from CAF.
- Six-month delay for Railcoop launch.
- SWEG to take over from Abellio in Baden-Wurttemberg.
- 1000th Vectron delivered to DSB.
- Green City Trip night trains launched.
- First Serbian KISS delivered.
- Driverless operation tested on Hamburg S-Bahn.
- More Norway-Sweden freight.
- France-Spain services to return in 2022.
- ÖBB unveils refurbished couchettes.
- Strong start for Klimaticket.
- Sofia Central remodelling advances.
- Special liveries for DB Class 101s.
- Sicily hit by flooding.
- New route to Ligerz approved.
- Authorisation testing for TRAXX P160 MS3.
- Torralba-Soria branch revival.
- Major derailment on Malmbanan.
- Budapest ‘S-Bahn’ plans.
- Nine-month closure for Decin bridge replacement.
- Diesel Classics gala at Fond-de-Gras.
- FS 640.003 works chestnut festival specials.
- Windbergbahn extended.