The January 2021 issue of Today’s Railways UK is packed with all the latest railway news plus interesting articles, regular features and unrivalled coverage of UK rolling stock matters. This issue also contains all our regular monthly sections looking at light rail, heritage railways, preservation, railtours, readers’ letters, our grumpy old man and much, much more!
Feature articles this month include:
Wolverton Looks to the Future: Phil Marsh talks to the Gemini Rail Group CEO, Tim Jenkins, about plans for the future of the historic Wolverton plant and looks at options to expand and diversify to continue the proud traditions of the Wolverton site.
Saxilby Sojourn: Editor, Robert Pritchard, looks back over eight months of unexpectedly working from his parents’ home in the Lincolnshire village of Saxilby. Fortunately, his “sojourn” afforded the opportunity to review a busy and key freight route that boasts a surprising variety of traffic.
Swansong for Isle of Wight 1938 Tube Stock: Between 1989 and 1992, BR introduced nine 2-car former London Underground trains into service. Keith Fender pays a visit to the Isle of Wight to look at the final weeks of operation of the outgoing 1938 Stock, and looks back at the other former LUL stock used on the Island.
Exploring the Portsmouth Direct Line: From Havant to Guildford: Our latest route guide covers a section of the busy main line from London to Portsmouth. Stephen Roberts is our guide to the sights and sounds to be found between Havant and Guildford.
The Changing Scene at Nottingham: Kevin Jagger travels to Nottingham to review the colourful variety of trains that can now be seen passing through this key East Midlands city.
News stories this month include:
- Covid-19 railway bailout bill tops £4 billion
- Crossrail faces being mothballed in the absence of new funding
- Sheffield brought to a standstill by cement train derailment
- Crossrail 2 becomes the main casualty of Transport for London bailout
- Latest phase of work begins on Dawlish sea wall
- Initial section of track laid on Edinburgh tramway extension
- First new Metrolink tram delivered in Manchester
- Ultra Light Rail project receives additional new funding
- Class 20s return to RHTT duties
- Midland Pullman-liveried HST released from Eastleigh
- First East Midlands Railway Class 170 in service
- Transport for Wales Class 769s enter service
- West Midlands Class 323s to go for overhaul at Wabtec
- First Class 484 lands on the Isle of Wight
- £1.9M windfall for North Yorkshire Moors Railway
- Llangollen Railway reforms Boards
- 61662 Appeal to be wound up
- Brighton Belle set for return to the main line
- Saphos Trains announces diesel-hauled tours for 2021