The February 2022 issue of Today’s Railways UK contains a range of interesting articles covering all aspects of Britain’s railways, plus all the very latest news from across the railway network. Our regular monthly sections take an in-depth look at light rail, heritage railways, preservation and railtours, with readers’ letters and our grumpy old man also in attendance.
Feature articles this month include:
The New December Timetable: Mike Stone presents his guide to the new December 2021 timetable and Robert Pritchard presents an update on loco-hauled trains in the new timetable as well as comparing the number of trains operated in this new timetable with the pre-pandemic timetable.
Change is Just Around the Corner for Tyne & Wear Metro: Ian Beardsley takes a look at recent developments to the Tyne & Wear Metro, including a new depot being established at Howden and contracts for new trains awarded to Stadler to supply and maintain the new train fleet.
Exploring Totton to Christchurch: In his latest line guide, Stephen Roberts explores the part of the South West Main Line that runs through the New Forest and the short branch than connects Brockenhurst with Lymington Pier.
Exploring the North for £1: In August 2021, Northern released its 2021 flash sale on their website, giving access to over one million tickets priced at just £1 per adult, for designated journeys within the Northern network. Keith Jagger reports on the nine separate trips that he made using this offer in Autumn 2021.
News stories this month include:
- Hitachi/Alstom to build HS2 trains
- Boring starts on first HS2 Midlands tunnel
- Rail usage dips following Omicron outbreak
- Waterloo no longer Britain’s busiest station
- LNER launches Middlesbrough service
- Soham station reopens
- Alstom wins deal to supply new Irish Rail DART trains
- Fares to rise 3.8% from March
- Glasgow Subway train testing underway
- Storms Arwen and Barra disrupt rail networks
- TPE consults on service changes for December 2022
- Stagecoach and National Express to merge
- XC cuts services and stands down HSTs as rest day working agreement expires
- New look planned for LNER’s Class 91s and Mark 4s
- First two EMR 156s transfer to Northern
- Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway’s bridge appeal fully funded