The January 2022 issue of Today’s Railways Europe contains the very latest news and features from all over mainland Europe. Our comprehensive news sections bring all the best from Europe’s main line railways, tramways and heritage lines, plus all our regular monthly columns.
Feature articles this month include:
SJ Unveils Modernised X 2000: More than three decades after the first trains entered service, SJ is carrying out an extensive upgrade of its fleet of 36 X 2000 sets. The programme has suffered significant delays but the outcome is effectively a new train, as Frank Edgar explains.
Heavy Metal: A DB Cargo Czechia Cab Ride: Paul Smith joins the driver of a 2100-tonne steel train running from Ziltendorf in Germany to Senica nad Myajavou in Slovakia for a cab ride aboard a Class 189 multi-system electric loco through the Czech Republic.
Back to the 70s at Baasrode: In early October a photo charter was held at the Stoomtrein Dendermonde-Puurs heritage line between Baasrode and Puurs, carefully recreating the atmosphere of Belgian branch lines in the 1970s. Carlo Hertogs takes a step back in time.
Krosataget: A David and Goliath Battle of Wits, Operations and Railways: With the threat of closure hanging over many Swedish secondary routes in the mid-1980s, local authorities in the south of the country took control of endangered services. Over the last three decades, Krosataget has gone from strength-to-strength, although, as Philip Groves explains, it hasn’t always been a smooth ride.
Rail Centres: St Polten: St Polten, the provincial capital of Niederosterreich is an important railway junction where standard and narrow gauge lines converge. Roland Beier takes a look at this interesting location.
Index to Today’s Railways Europe Volume 25: A detailed index for issue numbers 299-310, January to December 2021.
News stories this month include:
- New German government to prioritise rail over road.
- CD Loses routes to competitors.
- MEDWAY orders Euro 6000s for Iberia.
- CAF takes over Alstom’s Reichshoffen plant plus Coradia Polyvalent and Talent 3 ranges.
- Abellio Rhein-Ruhr contracts terminated.
- New Nightjet and Railjet stock on test.
- Iryo brand for ILSA Spanish services.
- Railcoop launches freight operations in France.
- New luxury train to tour France.
- Lineas signs sale-and-leaseback deals for diesel locomotives and wagons.
- Hungary’s first tram-train line opens.
- Chemnitz tram-train extension to open in January.
- WESTbahn postpones launch of Wien-Munchen services.
- Historic bauxite traffic to end.
- End of diesel-hauled passenger trains in Zagreb.
- Integral DMUs take over at Regiobahn.
- DB Cargo Italia introduces 2500 tonne steel trains.
- All RhB Ge 6/6 stored.
- SGM Sprinters soldier on.
- First refurbished Class 730 emerges.
- Norske tog prepares tender for new long-distance trains.
- Budapest cross-city tunnel planning moves forward.
- Last train from Lublin Airport.
- Bundesbahn TEE to be restored.
- Veteran Alco back on the main line.
Er zijn nog geen beoordelingen.