The March 2023 issue of Today’s Railways UK is full of interesting articles and features covering all aspects of Britain’s railways, plus all the very latest news from across Britain’s railway network. This month we look in depth at new trains on Britain’s railways, but we also include all our regular monthly sections covering light rail, heritage railways, preservation and railtours, with readers’ letters and our grumpy old man also in attendance.
Feature articles this month include:
Rolling Stock Special: New Trains on Order: Robert Pritchard and Ian Beardsley provide our annual summary of all new rolling stock that is currently on order. We also take a look at the latest figures charting the average age of the current British fleets and provided a summary of major rolling stock changes during 2022.
The Global Centre of Rail Excellence: A Train Testing Facility with a Difference: Think of a test track and you’ll probably think of Old Dalby, Velim or even Wildenrath, but there will soon be a new name on this list: Onllwyn. Ian Beardsley visits the site of the Global Centre of Rail Excellence to learn more about the Welsh Government’s plans to develop what it describes as a “world class rail testing centre” to help accelerate innovation in the rail industry and support the local economy.
East Surrey Loco-Hauled Variety: Ian Buck explores his local area around East Surrey and finds that there is still plenty of loco-hauled interest.
Exploring Peterborough to Norwich: Chris Booth heads for the fens with our latest line profile, exploring the route from Peterborough to Norwich.
Northern Diagram and Formation Update: Robin James provides a New Year update to the Northern diagrams.
News stories this month include:
- New offers tabled but more strike dates announced
- Liverpool welcomes the first of its new fleet of 777s
- Hook landslip could disrupt SWR for months
- Completion of Hope Valley upgrade deferred into 2024
- Punctuality slumps to lowest for 18 years
- Passenger services return to Brigg line
- Eurostar reveals new branding
- TfW rolls out Mark 4s on Manchester route
- Low-key celebration for London Underground’s 160th birthday
- Birmingham New Street’s signal box closes
- Inverness Airport station to open
- First new DLR train arrives at Beckton depot
- 12 DB Cargo Class 60s offered for sale
- First Class 77s for GBRf arrive at Immingham
- TfW Class 231s enter service
- West Somerset Railway blocked by landslip
- GB Railfreight Class 60 stars at Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway gala