The June 2022 issue of Today’s Railways Europe contains all the latest railway news from mainland Europe, plus our regular features and a selection of interesting and informative articles. Brought to you by our team of informed correspondents based throughout the European continent.
Feature articles this month include:
Rail Centres: St Gallen: With impressive bridges and tunnels, a mixture of standard and metre gauge and a multitude of train operators, St Gallen is the archetypal Swiss railway hub. Andrew Thompson explores the city’s diverse railway network.
Night at the Museum: Carlo Hertogs visits PFT/TSP’s railway museum in Saint-Ghislain, Belgium, for an after-dark look around the site.
Blue Giants: MAV’s Class V63 Co-Co Electrics: The Ganz-built Class V63 proved to be a good investment for Hungarian State Railways and these powerful machines are still going through major overhauls four decades after the introduction of the preproduction series locomotives. Ferenc Joo outlines the history and operation of the ‘Gigant’ fleet.
Diesels along the Douro: The 160km line along the Douro valley from Ermesinde near Porto to Pocinho combines spectacular scenery with regular loco hauled trains, which remain in the hands of CP’s vintage English Electric Class 1400 diesels. Laurence Sly presents a selection of images taken along the route in March and April 2022.
A History of the French Gares Maritimes Part 2: Dieppe, Le Havre and Cherbourg: Prior to the opening of the Channel Tunnel in 1994, port stations on both sides of the Channel provided efficient links between trains and ferries for travel between the UK and continental Europe. In the second instalment of a two-part article, we chart the rise and fall of the French Gares Maritimes at Dieppe, Le Havre and Cherbourg.
Liepaja: Railways and Tramways on Latvia’s Baltic Coast: Toma Bacic and Nenad Medic explore the rail network in Latvia’s third-largest city, which is currently renewing its tram fleet with new vehicles from Croatia.
News stories this month include:
- Russian missile attacks hit Ukranian rail network.
- Aid trains from Italy to Ukraine.
- Go-Ahead to end new non-UK rail development.
- Germany rolls out €9 monthly tickets for the summer.
- Ouigo Train Classique launched.
- September launch for SJ Stockholm-Hamburg sleeper.
- ÖBB orders Stadler EMUs.
- ICNG completes certification testing in Belgium as development begins on German version.
- France experiments with lighter trains.
- More delays for Semmering Base Tunnel.
- NTV celebrates ten years.
- Modertrans Gamma in Wroclaw
- CZ Class 541 to Wien.
- WESTbahn and RegioJet announce new services for 2023.
- Denmark imports waste by rail.
- RENFE and Talgo present first refurbished Class 730
- DB Cargo Scandinavia hires Class ME
- French rail freight sector cries foul.
- Construction contract awarded for longest bridge in Baltic States.
- Gornergratbahn first Polaris arrives.
- Uetlibergbahn Class Be 556 farewell.
- LTE Bulgaria begins operations.
- Italian ETR.460/463 quit Adriatic route.
- First Swedish Class X80 EMU delivered.
- Irish public transport fares cut by 20%.