20 Years of GB Railfreight Class 66s: The week in which this issue is on sale marks the 20th anniversary of the arrival of the first GB Railfreight Class 66s. Since those first seven locos arrived 20 years ago the fleet has grown to not far short of 100 examples and is also the most colourful and diverse in terms of its history. Robert Pritchard recounts the GBRf Class 66 story.
Remembering LMS Pioneer Diesel Locomotives: 10000 and 10001: Following earlier articles looking at projects to recreate a Class 22 “Baby Warship” and a Class 23 “Baby Deltic, Chris Booth tells the story of the two LMS Class D16/1 diesel locomotives – better known as LMS 10000 and 10001 – and describes the project to build a replica locomotive of this type.
Travelling the Great Western Main Line: From Reading to Bath: Ever in search of new places to visit, Stephen Roberts takes us on a journey along this interesting section of Brunel’s main line.
Great Western Railway Completes its New £56 Million Exeter Depot: The construction of a new depot is not normally something that would be carried out by a Train Operating Company, but following a number of successful schemes elsewhere within the franchise First Group has just completed its new DMU depot at Exeter – the company’s largest construction project ever undertaken. Robert Pritchard reports.
News stories this month include:
- Retro repaint for record-breaking HST power cor
- HS2a gains Royal Assent to Crewe
- Island Line closure extended until May
- East Midlands Railway unveils finalised May timetable
- Bow Street station opens in Wales
- Paddington–South Wales open access proposal refused by ORR
- “Transformational” mass transit plan for West Yorkshire
- Second tram route for Edinburgh
- Light rail schemes for Glasgow and Aberdeen?
- GB Railfreight 69001 undergoes trials on the Severn Valley Railway
- “Class 18” on the way for Beacon Rail
- Rail Operations Group buys Class 360/2s
- Third HST power car for 125 Group
- Severn Valley Railway plans major galas to kick off 2021
- Planning permission granted for Margate museum
- Rail Charter Services plans second season of Settle & Carlisle Staycation specials.